Senior Electrical Design Engineer
- Minimum BS in Electrical Engineering plus 15 years experience
- Connecticut P.E. required. Massachusetts P.E. also desirable
- Willingness to assume electrical department head duties and interest in serving as a resource for electrical designers and engineers is also desired
- Experience with preparation of studies, master plans, bid drawings and specifications for:
- Combined Heat & Power Plants
- Hospitals, Institutional Facilities, Commercial Facilities
- Colleges and Universities
- Campus Utility Distribution
- Strong analytical skills including experience with power analysis software packages such as SKM
- Strong communication skills, including business and technical writing.
- Proficient with industry standards and codes such as NEC, IEEE, and INETA
- Experience required with power distribution desirable - 208V to 15 kV, Including:
- Power Quality
- Selective Coordination.
- Short Circuit and Arc Flash Hazard Analysis
- Protective Relaying
- Co-Generation / CHP Systems
- Generation Systems: Standby, Operating in Parallel with Utility, Multiple Synchronized Units
- Utility interface and coordination
- Load flow and reliability analysis
- Distribution Equipment: Switchgear, Substations, Transformers, Switches
- Review of installed and existing systems
Position Will Require Candidate to:
- Concurrently work on multiple projects, prioritizing tasks based on deadlines and project requirements
- Work as part of a cross functional team of engineers and designers
- Supervise and mentor less experienced staff
- Serve as project manager for select electrically focused projects
- Provide technical support to other staff firm wide on power topics
- Visit project sites to interface with clients and collect data
- Attend meetings both at office and at client facilities
- Provide quality control review of electrical documents
Mechanical Power Plant / Power Distribution Design Engineer
We are seeking an engineering professional for design assignments on new construction and rehabilitation projects, as follows:
Engineering work assignments:
- Engineering evaluation, studies, master plans and reports
- Field verification and inspection of existing conditions
- Preparation of drawings and technical specifications as construction documents
- Project management and construction administration
- Central heating and cooling plants
- Combined heat and power cogeneration systems
- Industrial and institutional campus central utilities and district energy systems
Required expertise and capabilities:
- Bachelor’s in marine, facilities or mechanical engineering
- PE license a plus
- Experience in operations/design of marine or stationary power plants
- Preparation of flow diagrams
- Mass and energy balances
- Piping & instrumentation diagrams
- Control system architecture and sequences
- Start-up & test protocols
- System designs - engines, turbines, pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, etc.
- Proficient with ASME codes for boilers, pressure vessels, power piping and welding
- Engineering software skills, e.g., Thermoflow, AutoPIPE, Fluent, Fathom, etc.
Power Plant Piping Designer
We are seeking an engineering design professional for assignments on new construction and rehabilitation projects, as follows:
- Develop and prepare complex plant layout design drawings using AutoCAD and Revit including
- piping and instrumentation drawings,
- general arrangement,
- piping plan and section, and
- isometric drawings for power and industrial facilities.
- Coordinate equipment and piping based on equipment selection by engineers
- Coordinate and analyze Revit / Navisworks clash detection reports and correct issues. Assist lead engineer in design tasks as required.
- Check for conformance with ASME B31.1 Power Piping Code and company standards.
- Develop bill of materials and piping schedules and material take offs for estimating.
- Utilize and maintain company standard piping details, pipe supports and reference designs, as well as contribute to updating and continuous improvements.
- Retrofit project work, and construction progress monitoring requiring client site visits to field verify, collect dimensional and other data.
- Participate in company sponsored education for ASME power piping design, equipment technology updating and plant system design.
Experience / Requirements:
- High School / Technical degree or equivalent with additional education in AUTOCAD / Revit and piping design required. Associates degree in engineering and/or secondary certificate plus
- Experience and basic knowledge of BIM (Building Information Modeling)
- Proficiency with AutoCAD MEP2014 - 2016 and Autodesk Revit MEP 2014 - 2017.
- Knowledge of AutoLISP, VBA, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office products.
- Specific experience in power plants is preferred, but will consider relevant experience in process industries, oil and gas, refineries, or large scale chiller and boiler plants.
3D AutoCAD MEP & Revit MEP Building Information Model Manager
With 2-5 years experience in an MEP environment with at least 1year in REVIT MEP experience.
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
Perform Mechanical / HVAC, Plumbing and Fire Protection, and Electrical Power / Lighting systems design layouts and CAD / BIM inputting / modeling in the building construction industry based on the direction of the lead engineer focusing on healthcare, commercial, educational and industrial market sectors.
Primary job responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
- Operation of CAD / BIM systems and standards.
- Produce output of CAD / BIM system through AutoLISP routines, menus and blocks.
- Follow firm-wide CAD / BIM Standards, procedures and guidelines that conform with national standards, our firm's culture, and the emerging best practices.
- Attend CAD and BIM meetings and work with engineers and CAD and BIM Managers on CAD / BIM improvements
- Work with architects to set up architectural backgrounds for use in engineering documentation, such as drawings
- Model/drawing set-up and organization
- Provide end-user support for plotting and electronic file submissions and serve as resources for project teams
- Coordinate and analyze REVIT / Navisworks clash detection reports and correct issues
- Assist lead engineers in design tasks as required
- Minimum of High School graduation or equivalent. Technical or Associates Degree in Engineering Technology from an accredited institution or college preferred
- Experience and basic knowledge of BIM (Building Information Modeling)
- Proficiency with the latest versions of AutoCAD MEP and Autodesk Revit MEP
- Knowledge of AutoLISP, VBA, Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Office products
- Strong written and oral communication and organizational skills
- Ability to adhere to deadlines, and a strong work ethic
- Self starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Senior Commissioning Engineer
Job Roles and Responsibilities:
- Plan and organize projects to deliver exceptional quality commissioning services that meet cost constraints, time schedules, and technical requirements.
- Coordinate all activities and interfaces to ensure the quality control for mechanical and electrical designs and deliver a product that meet client expectations.
- As necessary, provide marketing assistance to the Principals.
- Prepare or manage the development of design and construction phase commissioning plans.
- Perform design and construction document reviews.
- Develop and conduct system pre-functional and functional performance tests.
- Perform site visits and write detailed field reports.
- Conduct commissioning meetings.
- Work with contractors and engineers to resolve design and operating issues.
- Organize and assist in the development of user training sessions.
- Prepare final commissioning reports documenting all commissioning activities, deficiencies noted, recommendations, etc.
- Review Operations and Maintenance manuals for accuracy and completeness.
- Prepare System Manual for all commissioned systems.
- Review building M/E/P plans and specifications and BMS O&M manuals to determine existing operating parameters
- Interview facility operations personnel to identify existing building operating modes, and building system and control performance issues
- Analyze options for efficiency improvements based upon record drawings, field observations, and trending
- Develop budget pricing for implementation of operational improvements
- Write reports summarizing results of field evaluations and systems analysis and present recommendations for improvements
- Candidates must have a minimum of at least 5 years experience
- Position will be responsible for successful client relations, project planning, organization, control, and technical quality of assigned projects
- Educational knowledge of ASHRAE Guidelines.
- Strong presentation and communication skills and the ability to speak with confidence to contractors, architects, and engineers.
- Knowledge of testing and balancing procedures preferred.
- Knowledge of electrical and life safety systems a plus.
- Strong verbal, technical writing skills required.
- Must have good computer skills and the ability to proficiently use Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Educational knowledge of LEED preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree in mechanical (or electrical) engineering preferred.
- A Professional Engineer's license is a plus
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
van Zelm Heywood & Shadford, Inc. is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and is strongly committed
to all policies which will afford equal opportunity employment to all qualified persons without regard to age, ancestry, color, marital status (including civil union status), national origin, race, religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, mental retardation, learning disability, present or past history of mental disorder, or physical disability including, but not limited to, blindness, unless it is shown that such disability prevents performance of the work involved.
Our policy and practice applies to all persons, particularly those who are members of the protected classes identified as being Black, Hispanic, Women, and Persons with Disabilities and others such as Asian, Native American, etc.
van Zelm Heywood & Shadford, Inc. will implement, monitor, and enforce our Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Policy Statement and program in conjunction with all applicable Federal and State laws, regulations and executive orders.